Here at Lawnhub we have created the perfect pack to oversow your couch lawn. This pack contains: (enough product to cover 100m2) 3kg of Lawnhub SEED, 5kg of Lawnhub Got Laid, 3kg of Lawnhub BBW, 1L of Astro and a Lawnhub Stubby Holder.
Oversowing Ryegrass into a couch (Bermuda) lawn
Firstly, if you have applied any sort of pre-emergent in the 4-6 months prior to seed going down, you will not have the chance to oversow. The pre-emergent barrier is going to severely impact your success. Also if you’re in a frost prone area plan to seed at least 6 weeks prior to the onset of the frost period. Don’t attempt an oversow unless your lawn is in top health and at least 2 years old. This process can inhibit the couch coming out of dormancy in spring.
Here is a guide to Oversowing 100 m2 for example:
- Apply the top rate of Plant Growth Regulator a day or 2 prior to putting seed down.
- Scarify, scalp or verticut the lawn to open up the canopy. The real goal here is to open up the grass so we can get the seed down near the soil surface
- Use half of your 3kg tub of SEED and spread in one direction followed by the other half of the SEED in the other direction. The goal is a consistent coverage of SEED. 3kg of SEED per 100m2 is a good amount.
- With a simple garden rake, rake the SEED down into the grass canopy. You can do this in 2 directions
- Roll the seed. I used my cylinder mower (without the engine on)
- Spread half of your starter fertiliser and wetting agent. GOT LAID + BBW.
- The seed needs to be moist for the first 7-10 days as it germinates. Short frequent cycles are best 2-4 times per day depending on daily high temps.
- Seed will germinate after around 7-8 days. After 10 days if you’re happy with coverage start to transition irrigation cycles to longer duration but less frequently.
- Mowing can commence around 7 days after germination. Start high and work down slowly
- After 4 weeks you can spread the other half of the GOT LAID + BBW. however something higher in nitrogen is fine for this grass during winter.
- At the end of winter and before renovations begin you can apply a product like Monument or tribute to chemically remove the rye from the couch.
Lawnhub GOT LAID
Lawnhub GOT LAID is a custom blended professional quality granular fertiliser.
This is exactly the type of product the top golf course superintendents of Australia choose.
The recommended application is 2.5kg/100m². Be sure to water this in straight away.
Got Laid will give your new lawn the nutrients it needs for dense root growth and even leaf growth.
This product is perfect for the home lawn fanatic looking for rapid turf establishment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do I need to water this in?
A: Yes. Straight away.
Q: Is is safe with pets.
A: Yes. Provided you ensure this product is not spread during windy conditions and it is watered in well straight away.
Lawnhub BBW is a professional quality granular wetting agent. This is exactly the type of product that top golf course superintendents of Australia choose. The recommended application is 1.5kg/100m2. Apply evenly to existing or new lawn. It is not necessary to water this product in. The wetting agent will be released upon irrigation or a rain event. BBW will continue to help water evenly penetrate your soil profile for up to 12 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is this suitable for all turf varieties?
Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator is an efficient and versatile turf management tool that maximizes turf quality, pre-conditions for stress prevention, and optimises resources. For the regulation of leaf and stem growth of grass species and as an aid in turf management, as per the Directions for Use .
Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator improves turf stand, uniformity and health to provide a smooth, tightly knit cover that is better able to withstand stress. Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator achieves this by increasing the lateral spread and turf density, in addition to slowing the vertical growth of the grass. This enhances the playability of many surfaces including fairways, greens and tees on golf courses as well as sport fields and other playing surfaces.
Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator is micro emulsion formulation, ideal for use in sensitive turf plants.
Features and Benefits
- no odour / no petroleum solvent
- easily tank mixed
For optimum turf quality, use Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator in conjunction with turf management practices that promote good plant health. Use the lower rate for the first application, to condition the turf at the start of the Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator program.
The recommended use rates are designed to give approximately a 50% reduction in clippings over a 4 to 6 weeks period. In practice the amount of growth regulation achieved will vary between situations due to environmental conditions and management practices. To some extent therefore application rates will need to be adjusted to match growing conditions, management practices and the amount of growth regulation required. Repeat applications can be made as soon as turf resumes growth or more suppression is required. Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator should be applied to actively growing turf, at least 6 hours before or after mowing. Good mowing management leading up to application is required to achieve a good quality turf surface and to obtain the best results.
Tank Mixing Benefit
The longevity of fungicides (and certain insecticides) are generally extended when used in conjunction with a growth regulation program of Astro 120 ME Growth Regulator.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Is this pack suitable for use on all Turf Varieties?
A. We only recommend the winter overseeding process in Couch/Bermuda lawns.